"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend."
January 12th 2017
After some discussion on updating the site, I've been encouraged, in other words had my arm twisted - by my daughter, that as well as making an effort to update the site, we should move into the 21st century. So, we now have a fledgling twitter account, with a facebook to follow soon.
So, apologies for the irregular nature of this site in the past year, but I will be making an effort to keep up to date from now to the end of this year.
The intention here is to collect together articles and research on Irish involvement in the Spanish Civil War, 1936-39. See the Navigation Menu on your left for links to the four main "Sources" pages. Also the link to the Site Index will bring you to an ordered list of links to all the documents. Most of the photos and images on the site can be viewed by going to the Gallery.
Also you can contact me by going to the Email page or signing the Guestbook.
There should not be any unauthorised commercial use of this material. In those cases where copyright has stayed with the original author, this will be indicated at the particular page, please follow their conditions. They did the hard, original work, so should be credited.
Anyone with additional documents, reports, images, etc. should please pass them them onto me. Thanks, Ciaran Crossey.
Jim Carmody died, London August 3rd 2016
It is with great regret that I report that those researching the International Brigades and the Spanish Civil War have had a big loss.
A short obituary has been written by Richard Baxell, it is available here.
Jim, you were always helpful and patient, a sad loss. Rest in peace
Updates, January 12th 2017 - News of Upcoming Events
- One of the important things that activists need to be careful of - DON'T BORE THE PUBLIC, droning on all the time!! Not everyone is 100% committed to what we're doing, even though that's hard to believe.
- So, in that light, the Int Brigade Commemoration Committee is pleased to offer you a chance to see some theatre Black Box, Feb 13th, 2017.
- This is a great opportunity to mix Art and politics - seeing the case of a British Int Brigader, Clem Beckett, brought to life. He was a motorcycle dare devil rider! Need to know more, come along!
- One for the Diary - The International Brigade Commemoration Committee AGM and lecture will be in the Falls Rd Library, Belfast, Feb 11th 2017. Topic - 80th Anniversary of the Battle of Jarama - the important Irish role - Speaker Ciaran Crossey (don't let that put you off attending!) - but this will be an open meeting, everyone welcome. 11am start, tea and coffee available.
- The Charlie Donnelly Winter School - Feb 24-25th. - This is taking place in The Junction, Beechvalley Way, Dungannon
- There is a draft programme available - the opening talk (on the Friday night) is on The Labour Movement and Left Republicanism in East Tyrone, and is being called the Ben Murray & Joe Boyd Memorial Lecture in honour of two local volunteers.
The latest mural to be unveiled will be on Sat 4th May 2013, Inchicore, Dublin. I can't attend, clashes with the Belfast May Day parade, but would encourage everyone who can to attend. Read more about it here.
March 5th 2013
Ben Murray and Charlie Donnelly Commemorations - March 9th
The Friends of Charlie Donnelly - as part of the Friends of the International Brigade Ireland (FIBI)- planned 2 events in Tyrone for March 2013
Coalisland Glass Factory - wreath laying at the Charlie Donnelly Memorial.
Moy Bridge, Aughnacloy, the unveiling of a new memorial for Ben Murray.
Roll of Honour for June-August|
This is a Roll of Honour of soldiers from Ireland who died fighting for the Spanish Republic at this time of the year.
Additional Information would be gratefully received.
|Donald ||James ||Derry||June 1938 |
|Roach ||Joseph Cless ||Leeds ||July 1938|
||6 July 1937|
|Keenan||William||Bangor via Canada||July 1938
|Gibbons||Thomas (Ginger)||Ireland||6th July 1937|
|O'Neil ||Stuart (Paddy) ||Irish-Canadian, Vancouver
||6th July 1937 |
|Burke||Thomas ||County Mayo||7th July 1937
|Davis||William||Clonaslie, Leix||7th July 1937|
|Laughlin||William P ||Belfast ||7th July 1937|
|Kelly||M J ||Ballinasloe, Kilconnel/Galway||8th July 1937|
|Hunt||Vincent John||Carrick-on-Suir||10th July 1937|
|Glasson||Patrick (Harry)||Cornwall||20th July 1937|
|Beattie||William||Belfast||25th July 1937
|Patterson ||Jackie (Edward) ||Belfast via Canada ||30th July 1938 |
|Jones||James John||Wexford, Gorey||31 July 1938|
|O'Sullivan ||Paddy ||Dublin ||31st July 1938 |
|Stranney ||James (Jimmy) ||Belfast ||31st July 1938 |
|May ||Christopher ||Wallasey, Chesire
||Abt August 1937|
|Ryan ||Maurice Emmet ||Limerick ||Aug. 1938
|Regan ||Charlie Joseph ||Toledo, USA ||9 August 1937 |
|Guerin||Edward Joseph||London-Belgium ||25 Aug 1937|
GO TO TOP OF PAGE