FIBI 2014-2015 Student Essay Competition
By Harry Owens, Secretary, Friends of the International Brigade Ireland,
1. FIBI's 3rd annual essay competition for second level students in Ireland will accept essays on any aspect of the roles and experiences of the members of the International Brigades that relate to Ireland, either during or after the Spanish Civil War of 1936-39.
2) Final versions of each essay must be either in English or Irish, and should not be more than 1,500 words in length.
3) At least 3 sources should be consulted, and the essay should have footnotes indicating when these sources are being quoted or relied on in the text.
4) Any student up to 19 years of age, in any second level course anywhere in Ireland during the time of the competition, is eligible to enter, provided the essay is emailed to FIBI before the deadline, and is accompanied by contact details of the teacher or course supervisor who can confirm the student's age and second level course participation.
5) The FIBI email address for essays and contact details is
all queries or other emails should go to our usual email address:
6) Deadline for submitting essays is Thursday 20th November 2014.
7) We recommend emailing your essay as a PDF attachment.
8) All entrants will receive a certificate attesting to their essay, suitable for inclusion in CVs, etc.
9) All decisions by the judges are final.
Further details about the competition and FIBI are on our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/SpanishCivilWarEssayCompetition/info
Issued by Harry Owens, secretary, Friends of the International brigades in Ireland (FIBI).
GO TO TOP OF PAGE