Enniscorthy Guardian, September 12, 2007

Monageer remembers adopted son Peter Daly

ALMOST 70 years after his death fighting in the Spanish Civil War, wreaths were laid in Monageer on Friday night to commemorate the life of the village's adoptive son Peter Daly.

The local Sinn Féin Cumann, which is named after the former IRA and International Brigade volunteer, spearheaded the commemoration in the village. Everyone gathered at the grotto before being led by a piper to the garden of the Monageer Tavern.

Wreaths were laid by one of Peter Daly's descendants, his namesake Peter Daly, on behalf of the Daly family, Mick O'Leary for Oglaigh na hEireann, Liam Cooper on behalf of the International Brigade, Cllr. Noirin Sheridan for County Wexford Sinn Féin and a wreath was laid on behalf of the Peter Daly Cumann in Monageer.

Peter Daly was born in Liverpool to Irish parents in 1903. His family were steeped in revolutionary traditions, his father was one of the founders and chairman of the Tom Clarke society and a member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood. When he was young his family returned to Ireland settled in Tomsollagh and he attended school in Tinnacross and Monageer.

Peter joined Na Fianna Éireann and from there went on to join the Irish Republican army and became an active volunteer. He took the anti treaty side during the Civil war and was eventually captured after being wounded in action. He spent 17 months in prison and was only released after enduring 18 days on hunger strike.

After the civil war he went to Britain to find work and before long found himself joining the British Army. However after rising to the rank of Sergeant he was forced to flee when it was discovered that he had been secretly smuggling arms to the IRA. He returned to Ireland once again and took up position as training officer with the Wexford Brigade of the IRA.

He returned to Britain once again in search of work and got caught up in Spanish Civil War in 1936 when he joined the International Brigade. During his time in Spain his bravery saw him wounded on a number of occasions, each time returning to the fight when recovered. After long months he rose to the rank of Battalion Commander but was badly woundedwhile leading an assault. He was carried from the battlefield by his comrades but died a short while later in Bebicasim Hospital near Valencia on September 5, 1937.

There was an earlier report of the commemoration plans.